Returning shoppers drove record-setting growth in Q2. We find out why.
Despite recent downward trends from the retail industry as a whole, Q2 2016 was a great quarter for US retail ecommerce.
The primary driver of that incredible growth was returning visitors, which contributed 20.5% of that top-line revenue growth. Meanwhile, sales from new visitors was down 4.9% YOY.
In this edition of the Monetate Ecommerce Quarterly, we examine the strategies and tactics driving ecommerce growth. Plus, we’ll show you how two companies used personalization to best serve new and returning visitors.
Here’s what you'll learn:
Returning visitors are your new best friend
- Revenue from returning visitors grew 20.5% YOY and sales transactions grew 17.8%.
- New customer performance declined: new-customer sales transactions dropped 4.9%
- Overall traffic to ecommerce properties increased 34.7% YOY
Turn the challenge into an opportunity with personalization
- With personalization, you can optimize content for new and returning visitors
- Harley-Davidson created a campaign for new visitors that boosted conversion rate by 23%
- A major gift retailer personalized their homepage for repeat visitors and got a 10% lift in conversion rate